Monday, July 18, 2005

WISHY-WASHY

I woke up to 67 degree temperatures this morning and it felt really good. It was cool enough where I could take Bailey for a mile jog. If it is too hot I just take her for a walk. After driving across town I was able to get in an easy to moderate 6 miles with splits of 24:50 and 22:20. With about 1.5 to 2 miles to go I started throwing in some strides. I figure if I’m not doing any speed work I at least need to start doing strides a few times a week to maintain some sort of leg turnover.

Last week I was leaning towards not running a fall marathon, this week I’m leaning the other way. Or at least I haven’t completely ruled a fall marathon yet. Right now I’m planning on doing a 10 mile race this Saturday and then a 10k on August 7th. After that I’ll probably determine if I’m going to run a fall marathon or not. If I run slow and don’t see my speed where it needs to be for shorter races, I’ll probably run a fall marathon. If my speed is there and I think I can run fast races from 13.1 and down, I’ll probably skip the marathon.

Part of my reasoning comes from being so far behind where I was last year at this time as far as track workouts and racing. Maybe I’m in better racing shape than I feel and I’ll be able to run a decent 5k, 5 mile, 10k and half yet this year. I’d like to be able to break 18, 29:30, 37 and 1:22:30. If I don’t feel I have that kind of speed, I might as well take another crack at 26.2.

No comments: