Tuesday, May 24, 2005

LAST OF THE HILLS

What a beautiful evening; 70-75 degrees, sunny, a dew point of 45 and no wind. A great night for our last hill workout before Grandma’s. We met at Macalester College again and ran 8 times the dreaded Davern Hill. The hill is fairly short, but steep. It’s probably about 400 meters long and ¾ of that is steep, before leveling off a bit. It was kind of hard to tell how I was running, since I wasn’t used to that type of hill. I felt okay during the hills, nothing special.

Afterwards, on the flats, I felt really good. After 75 minutes we were back at the college. I agreed to add-on with Jenna, but only if she agreed to slow down. We ran for another 27 minutes. I’m not sure what pace we were going, maybe 7-flat. It felt fast, but controlled.

Usually Jenna’s way ahead of me so we don’t get much time to talk. Last night was probably the 4th or 5th time we’ve run together for an extended period. She’s also a fan of the sport, so it’s really fun to run with her. She knows a lot of the fast local runners, as well as some of the Team Minnesota people, so it’s fun to talk about them.

We ended up running 1:42, which I called 14 miles. It was probably a little shorter than that but I don’t really like to have halves in my log book. I always feel like I have to run another halve before the end of the week, just to “correct” it.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Ha...I'm the same way with halves! I cut out early from my workout this morning because of anxiety-provoking knee pain and ended up with my third 1/2 for the week. I'll have to get in one more now, obviously. :)

Thanks for the dorm info and floor offer. Yeah, $180 is still a little daunting for me, but I've got nothing against chipping in some money to occupy a little available floor space. Still, with four people in the suite already, that might be a little tight. I would bet that there must be people who have suites with extra space though. I wonder if one of the running websites with discussion forums has an electronic billboard I could post on to ask.

I'm trying to tell myself that this just adds to the excitement of the marathon experience...

Chad said...

Chelle,

I'll check with the gal that got the room and see if she knows anything about the size. All I know is there are 2 bedrooms and a kitchenette - so we can bring our own pasta for Friday night. :)

My guess is that it would be big enough. I'll keep you posted.