Saturday, May 14, 2005

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY

Friday night I just jumped on the treadmill for 7 easy miles – nothing exciting. Saturday was the garage sale (actually it was Friday and Saturday) that caused me to rearrange my racing schedule. My wife was excited to make about $300. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that we probably spent $5,000 on those same items.

The weather pretty much sucked all day Saturday. The nice thing about that is they shut the garage sale down early and I was able to run during the afternoon, rather than waiting till the evening. Luckily, there was a break in the weather when I left. It had stopped raining, but it was still only 45-50 degrees and windy. I decided to run one of my favorite loops, which is 10 miles. I don’t care for the first 1.5 miles, but after that it’s not bad – even with the first half into the wind. This was one of those runs where you feel pretty good and pick up the pace a little. At first your breathing is a little hard, but soon it becomes easier than running slow.

About halfway through this run it started pouring – with some sleet mixed in. It didn’t last more than 10 minutes before the sun came out. Goofy freaking weather! At least by this time I was on the best part of the loop - a gradual downhill with a nice tailwind.

It sounds like the conditions were pretty miserable at that half marathon I had to skip this morning. Jenna came in 2nd with a 1:20:11. The gal that was 3 seconds behind her at Get in Gear ran the last 5k 26 seconds faster than Jenna to beat her by 9 seconds. So I’m sure she’s pissed. Debbie came in 7th with a 1:24:54. Jim had a miserable experience with a 1:34:38 that included a 25:13 last 5k. Maybe it was a blessing that I was “forced” to miss this race.

No comments: