Tuesday, August 16, 2005

“WEEKEND” RECAP

Friday: Evan, Debbie and I met around 6:45 AM to explore the trails along the Minnesota River. I drive over the bridge everyday and it finally occurred to me that there are probably trails down there. Leave it to the foreigner (Evan) to know more about Minnesota than the guy “from” Minnesota.

Anyway, the trails were great. At one point we saw 3 bucks about 50 feet from us. We did have to run along Interstate 494 for about a mile, but it wasn’t a big deal. Debbie was feeling great and nearly ran me into the ground. With the quick pace, it was a good thing we decided to run only 90 minutes instead of 2 hours like I had originally planned.

I could still feel some pain in my arch, but it felt a lot better than yesterday.

Saturday, Sunday, Monday: My freshman year of college I went to Mexico on spring break and I can remember taking along a bunch of text books. Of course, I never opened them. This vacation was a lot like that. I brought along my running clothes, but never used them. Yep, 3 days off in a row for no good reason. Sure I can use my arch as an excuse, but I probably could have run if I felt like it.

Is it possible to be unmotivated and motivated at the same time? I’m pretty much unmotivated for the rest of this season. Basically, I want to make it till Labor Day weekend (my alumni meet is September 3rd) and then re-evaluate where I’m at. The biggest running related events during my vacation included reading a biography on Arthur Lydiard (which Evan loaned to me) as well as reading Ron Daws’ Self-Made Olympian. Those 2 books have already got me fired up about next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kind of know where you're at Chad. After a couple of really good solid mileage weeks, I was at the point where every part of my body from my thighs on down had some sort of painful twitch. A scheduled Tuesday strength/LT workout turned into a slow 4-5 mile run, and Wednesday was an off day. I felt better today, and managed a rather good effort to get almost 11 miles in, w/ 9 @ marathon pace (6:47), but I'm still feeling a bit stale. I haven't signed up for Lakefront yet, but I'd better soon b/c it may close before the end of the month. The blahs and staleness I'm getting is most likely from running 98% of my miles by myself. Keep your head in the game, you want to be somewhat fit running the Alumni race. Take care...

Chad said...

Peter,

Glad to hear you're smart enough to adjust your schedule on those days you're feeling beat up.

Get that entry sent in before registration closes. I was thinking about doing a 10k this weekend until I saw there's no race day registration. Getting shut out of a marathon would be even worse.