Monday, August 08, 2005

I’M FREE

Not much to report regarding today’s run. I tried to sleep in again, but was awake and decided to get in 6 easy miles before work. Once I was up I was glad I didn’t have to run later today, when the temps where 95 with a dew point in the 70s.

My legs actually felt pretty good today, considering I raced yesterday. That makes me a little leery of how my legs are going to feel Tuesday. If they weren’t tired today, they probably will be tomorrow and tomorrow we’re supposed to do hill repeats.

My left arch was a little sore today. I attribute that to doing Thursday night’s workout in a pair of adidas RATS Racers, which are either a heavy flat or a light-weight trainer (I’d lean towards the former). In addition, yesterday I raced in a pair of adidas Cubatos which are extremely light. Usually I try to ease into using them since they tend to trash my calves. However, with yesterday’s “nice” weather and the thoughts of a “fast time” dancing in my head, I decided to break out these “secret weapons”. The good news is my calves feel fine.

I’ve had thoughts of getting a pair of Nike Frees lately. Combining the tenderness in my arch with the $75 gift certificate that was burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to run out over lunch and buy a pair – I even got $2 back. Maybe they work or maybe it’s just marketing hype. I guess I’ll find out. If nothing else, they’re very comfy.

I bought these at the new Run ‘n Fun store in Eden Prairie. Run ‘n Fun’s other store is a little hole in the wall in St. Paul and it has a great atmosphere. However, it’s very popular and it’s hard to get help during their busy times. I can remember being in the store along with a bus load of high school or college runners. The Eden Prairie location doesn’t have the same vibe, at least not yet. But I was the only customer and I had a nice conversation with the (only) guy working. I asked if he raced yesterday and he said no because he’s out of shape. He ran the Lumberjack Days 10 miler and got beat by all his teammates, so he wasn’t racing again until he was in shape. When I got back to the office I did a little digging and found out he ran 56:29. Man, I’d like to be that out of shape.

No comments: