Tuesday, August 30, 2005

(NEARLY) DESENDING REPEATS

I did it!!! I made it to the track this morning and completed the workout I had planned, 6 x 800 with 800 jog. I believe the first time I did this workout last year; I averaged just over 3:00 for the 800s. By the end of the season I was averaging in the low 2:50s for 8 repeats – with 2-3 other runners on a synthetic track. Since this morning’s workout was a solo effort on the dirt track at the Minnetonka Junior High, I thought averaging 2:55 would be a very solid workout.

I followed the new strategy of not looking at my watch during the workout. It’s a good thing too, because had I looked, I may have stopped after 2 repeats; 3:08 and 3:01. Maybe it just took me awhile to get going because after that I ran 2:57, 2:54, 2:55, 2:52. So I averaged 2:58 for all 6 and 2:55 for the last 4. My average rest was just under 4:30.

I’m pretty happy with that workout – it gives me something to build off of. Last year I did this workout 3-4 times before bumping it to 8 repeats. This year I’m going to be more aggressive, since my race season is shorter than last year. I think the next time I do a track workout; I’ll add some strides to my warm-up. That should help make the first two reps quicker.

No comments: