Friday, June 10, 2005

OUCH!

I was just reading a regional running magazine. There's a diary of a guy who was training for Boston at the time. A couple of his comments jumped out at me.

1) "I don't have a specific goal, but I'm shooting for a 3:45. An ideal goal would be 3:30 to 3:45. I always shoot for under four hours, because you never know what the day will bring."

Yeah, I guess he didn't have a specific goal. Anywhere from 3:30 to 4:00 and he’d be happy?

2) "I find in my schedule, that if I go out less frequently, it helps me recover a lot faster. So I run three or four days a week and leave a day off in between each running day."

I'm all for following a hard/easy program, but do people really feel they need to be fresh for every run?

Maybe the lack of a specific goal and under-training contributed to his 4:38 at Boston, including a 2:50 second half. Ouch!

I ran an easy 6 miles this morning. I threw in some strides too, since I haven’t done any in 3 weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zeke: What's the name of that magazine? Is it online? (It'd be fun to start getting the flavor of Minnesota running in prep for the TCM.) If it's not online, I can have my sister send me a copy; she lives in Minny. Thanks, Carl

Chad said...

Carl,

It was the MDRA's (Minnesota Distance Runners Assoc) Run Minnesota magazine. I don't think it's online, but they have free copies at the local running stores.