Monday, June 13, 2005

FAMILY AFFAIR

Yesterday I mentioned Elizabeth Yetzer’s fast times at the state meet. Since I didn’t run today I thought I’d share the story about the first time I “met” 2 of the 3 Yetzer girls, including Elizabeth.

It had to be at least 3 if not 4 years ago. I used to live about 2 blocks away from a high school track. One evening I was taking Bailey for a walk and we came upon 3 girls who were cooling down from a track meet. I asked them how they did. The sisters said “okay” but their friend wouldn’t leave it at that. She said they (yes, both of them) had just broken the school record in the 3200 by running something like 11:03.

I was shocked and said something like “Man, I only ran 10:50 in high school.” They were very humble and said something like “wow, that’s really good.” I’m like “Yeah sure. A whopping 13 seconds faster than you two.”

The next week there was an article in the paper about the 3 sisters. I’ve been following their progress ever since. Actually, it’s pretty hard to not follow it. Rebekah now runs for Colorado State and Annie runs for Minnesota. It’ll be interesting to see where Elizabeth decides to go in a year.

No comments: