Monday, September 19, 2005

WELLNESS WEEK

This week is Wellness Week at my company. They have various events set up throughout the week, such as Pilates, Yoga, Biking, Health Fair, etc. Things wrap up Friday afternoon with a 2 mile “race”. Actually it’s a 2 mile run, I added the word “race”. Another activity consists of teams of 3 tracking their minutes of “wellness” throughout the week. The two women on my team are very solid. They are 2 of the few people that use the workout facilities on a regular basis.

I like the idea of tracking minutes, but I’m a little torn. This should be the part of my season where I’m scaling back my exercise time and focusing on rest and intensity. Luckily we can count such things as going for a walk, stretching, attending Wellness seminars, etc. I figure I could do a little biking too, which wouldn’t wear me out too much. This morning I biked for 45 minutes along the trails I normally run. That gave me a chance to figure out where some of my mile markers are located. I figure if I try to push the pace a little more this upcoming base-building session, it’d be nice to have an idea of my pacing.

Wellness week kicked off with a motivational speech by Tony Schiller who, at 47, is one of the top masters triathletes in the U.S. I found an interesting video clip of one of his speeches at this site.

Later this evening I ran an easy 5 miles on the treadmill while watching Monday Night Football, then I stretched, lifted and did some ab work. All totaled (biking, running, walking the dog, attending the speaker, etc), I had 165 minutes of “wellness”.

No comments: