Wednesday, September 07, 2005

SWAMPED

I’ve finally learned not to set my alarm for 5 AM after a Tuesday night workout because I just turn it off and reset it for 6 AM anyway. Now I just set it for 6 and if for some reason I’m awake before that, I have my running clothes ready to go. Today was not one of those days. I didn’t even want to get up at 6, but I did. I brought my running clothes to work in hopes of getting out for a run at lunch. Usually I can’t use this excuse, but I was so swamped, I never made it out.

This evening I sat down with my log book from last year to help determine what I want to do for a workout tomorrow morning. I noticed that I only ran 6 days a week during last year’s racing season. That seemed to work well, so I decided to take today off too, since it’s been a week since my last day off.

So you’re probably thinking “why does he have to determine his own workouts if he has a coach?” Good question. First, my last schedule went through August 28th and I haven’t seen a one since. Last Tuesday I got an email saying I’d have my new schedule on Wednesday. Thursday at 6 PM, I finally got an email (rather than the normal excel file) with workouts through Monday. Second, I’m not sure if my coach received my last email regarding not doing a fall marathon and focusing on shorter races instead. Granted, his college cross country teams are back in town, but he had time to send me a bill yesterday. I’ve talked to other teams members and they’re in the same situation. It’s frustrating.

Next season I think I’m going to see if I can cut a deal with my coach and use him more as a consultant. After reading all these Daws and Lydiard books lately, I’d like to write my own schedules and have him review them. Plus, I’d still like to train with the group a couple of times a week.

Speaking of Lydiard, I’ve also been trying to work through this thread on letsrun.com. I waited till it was 15 pages before I started reading it and now I’m trying to play catch-up a little at a time.

No comments: