Sunday, September 11, 2005

WEEKEND RECAP

Not much to report from the weekend, running-wise. After two harder workouts on Thursday and Friday, Saturday was an easy 5 mile run. That gave me 46 miles for the week. Obviously, that’s not huge mileage, but it’s my 3rd week in a row over 45, so I’ve been consistent.

Somewhere along the line the weather turned hot, humid and windy. Thoughts of doing a 5k on Sunday were diminishing quickly. They completely evaporated when some friends invited us to go swimming and grill out. It wasn’t a late night, but by the time we got the girls to bed it was 9 PM. I set my clothes out, but didn’t set my alarm. I figured if I was up and ready to go by 6:30, I’d race. I wasn’t, so I didn’t.

Instead of racing, I hopped on the treadmill for a 10 mile progression run while watching the dreadful Minnesota Vikings.

The weather didn’t keep my friends from racing over the weekend. Debbie and Jim ran a 10 mile race. Debbie was 1st woman and 4th overall in 1:02:42, Jim was 6th overall in 1:06:14. Jenna (1:36:21, 1st woman), Evan (1:42:57), Aaron (1:45:28) and Eric (1:46:36, first race since May) all ran a 25k.

Today was also fourth time Ironman Wisconsin was held in Madison. The first year the weather was cool. Since then, it’s been brutal. When I did it in 2002 it was 85+ degrees and sunny. I think that was mild compared to today’s weather, which was much windier. Results show that nearly 20% of the field dropped out. Of my 4 teammates that competed, 2 DNF’d and 2 had times way over their goals. But no matter their time, they’re still an Ironman. No one can take that away from them.

2 comments:

brent said...

the weather was hot this weekend for sure. back to cool again though. typical eh?
10 miles on the 'mill? woah.
thx for the 20 feedback. re: your other comment, i think most of active blogging RBFers are women. i just write whatever strikes me. heh.

Chad said...

It's amazing how fast it went from 85 to 60. I'm not complaining though.

75 minutes on the mill isn't bad, especially if you're pushing the pace a little.