Saturday, October 04, 2008

MARATHON ANALOGY

I picked up my race packet today and realized how few runners I know. Other than seeing some familiar faces working the expo, I did not see a single runner that I knew.

Driving home on the interstate, I came up with this analogy for coming off an injury to run a marathon; it's like driving on the interstate at 70 mpw with one of those tiny spares that have a warning label saying not to drive over 55 mph. You figure things will hold together, but the chance of disaster is always in the back of your mind.

If nothing else, the last 6 weeks have provided me enough material for another article. I haven't written it yet, but it's percolating.

Here's the latest hour-by-hour weather report;

8 A.M. 50 degres with partly cloudy skies and winds from the Southeast at 7 to 14 mph. Chance for rain is 20%.

9 A.M. 54 degrees with partly to mostly cloudy skies and breezy winds from the Southeast at 7 to 14 mph. Slight chance for some sprinkles or showers - chance for rain is 30%.

10 A.M. 56 degrees with mostly cloudy skies and breezy winds from the Southeast at 8 to 16 mph. Slight chance for some sprinkles or showers - chance for rain is 30%.

11 A.M. 58 degrees with mostly cloudy skies and breezy winds from the Southeast at 8 to 16 mph. Slight chance for some sprinkles or showers - chance for rain is 30%.
Today, Charlie has posted his men’s preview. Note: you may have to register to read Bruce Brothers’ previews of the women’s 10-mile and the marathon. And if you like to read about 83-year olds that kick ass, check out this article.

Finally, here are some photos of my girls, as well as the doll "house" - before it was finished - I mentioned awhile ago.




Quote of the day;

"About 10 years ago, I was doing 26 a year, 21 marathons and five ultras. The last several years, I've only been doing 11 or 12 a year." - Burt Carlson, 83-year-old stud

No comments: