Friday, August 04, 2006

FOR THE TRIATHLETE IN YOU

I had a bunch of thoughts I was going to post today, along with some links, but all that pales in comparison to what follows. Rather than clutter up this post with a bunch of other garbage, I’ll keep it simple.

When it comes to Ironman, if you;

* are currently training for one
* have completed one in the past
* have ever wondered about what it’s like on race day
* have just watched it on TV

check out this first-timers race recap from IM Lake Placid.

Today’s quote of the day comes from the recap;

“To borrow the words of E.L. Doctorow, racing an Ironman is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but somehow you can make the whole trip that way.”

4 comments:

Beanie said...

apt, as I just watched coverage of - was it the 2005 race?

I cried every time they showed anyone crossing the finish line. (mmm, maybe that's just the hormones...)

In any case, that's one hell of a gruelling event.

Mike said...

Zeke- thanks for the link..that was a great report. Those ironman racers are nuts!! *wink*

SRR said...

But what if you need glasses to help you see while driving in the dark?

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

It's all I can do just to get to the start of a marathon, never mind swimming and biking for several hours beforehand.

I prefer to stick to swimming and biking as pure recreation pursuits and focus on running as a competitive endeavor.

My hat's off to the Ironmen and women.