Friday, April 22, 2005

SUBTITLES

Shouldn’t be Surprised
I went to bed last night just before 10. Katie, who has suddenly developed separation anxiety, was crying by 11:30. She was fine as soon as my wife or I went in to check on her, but as soon as we left, she started crying again. At 1:00 I tucked her back in then pulled up a sleeping bag and slept next to her the rest of the night. It seemed to have worked as she didn’t make a sound the rest of the night.

Since I only had 1:30 of sleep before Katie woke up, it felt like I’d just taken a nap and I was wide awake. While I was lying there I was thinking “I shouldn’t be so surprised how well my workout went tonight.” Last year was my highest mileage year ever and I had my best summer of road racing since college. After finishing my last race of the summer in September, I took a week off before building my mileage back up. In the 7 months since then, I’ve averaged over 280 miles/month or 65 mpw. Through September of last year, I averaged 50 mpw. So hopefully I’m developing capillaries, mitochondria and other things at a cellular level that I can’t see that will make me faster.

New Theory

With last night’s workout and Katie’s “episode” it shouldn’t come as a surprise that I slept-in today. Instead, I slugged my way through a very easy 5 miles at a not-so-marathon-pace of nearly 9 minute miles. During these 45 minutes I developed a “new theory” – when the wind speed (25) is half of the air temperature (50), it doesn’t make for ideal running conditions. Okay, maybe I’m not going out on a limb there.

From 3 to 2
With less than 2 months till Grandma’s, I’ve been trying to figure out what shoes I’m going to wear. I’ve been thinking about either 1) adidas RATs Racers, 2) New Balance 833s or 3) Nike Skylons. I’ve worn RATs Racers for my last 3 or 4 marathons and I did last night’s workout in them. I like how light they are, but I think this time I’m going to go with a little more cushion. Being a spring marathon, I’m a little more concerned about trashing my legs for the rest of the summer. I really like the feel on the 833s, but I’m not sure if they have enough cushioning either. So right now, I’m leaning towards the Skylons.

No comments: