Sunday, April 24, 2005

SOCIAL EVENT

Last night my training group had a party for 2 people that are moving to California. This was my first social gathering with the group. It was interesting to see everyone in their “normal” clothes and talk to them outside of a workout. A couple of people who I thought were very quiet – weren’t. I guess oxygen debt has a way of keeping people quiet. It was a good time, but I didn’t get home till 1:30, meaning I only got 5 hours of sleep. When you have 2 kids, 6:30 AM IS sleeping in.

I was supposed to run 10-12 miles but ended up only running 6. Kinsey wanted to come, so I pushed her the whole way. After having a bunch of days in the 60-70s and sunny, it was hard to explain to her that – even with the clear blue skies - it was cold outside. I let her wear shorts, but we had 2 blankets and a pair of sweat pants – for when she figured out that 45-50 degrees, sunny and very windy wasn’t as warm as she thought. She did – when we started heading into the wind.

My legs felt pretty good. I’m sure the soft surfaces of yesterday’s run helped a lot. This should be a pretty easy week as I drop down to 55-60 miles – sort of a mini-taper before this weekend’s race. Although Get in Gear is Minnesota’s largest non-marathon, road race, I’ve only run it once. In 2002, I ran a similar time for The Human Race in March as I did this year. That year I went out too hard at Get in Gear and held on for 39-flat. I’d like to break 38 this year and would be really happy to run 37:30 or faster.

No comments: