Thursday, May 29, 2008

SILVER LINING

One more thing regarding Monday’s 5K; it turns out that listening to Matt Tegenkamp talk about being able to grind out the last 800-1000 meters of a 5K and actually doing it, are two very different things. And looking at the results, I’m not the only one running 2 minutes slower than their college PR – you know who you are. Yes, I’m grasping for any silver lining I can find.

In the midst of racing, I managed to cut my mileage down to 54 miles for a 7-day stretch. Now I’m building it back up and preparing to begin adding hard workouts via Daniels. The first workout fits in perfectly with a 30K race this weekend, so I’m planning on running it as Daniels has laid out. I don’t have it memorized, but it’s something like this; 2 mile warm-up, 6 miles at MP, 1 mile Tempo, 6 miles at MP, 1 mile Tempo, 2 mile cool-down. Actually for future workouts, I plan on converting his mileage to a time-based workout since this program is designed for runners much faster than me. However, I’d rather incorporate the help of a race environment, as opposed to trying to complete this workout solo.

Training update: Tuesday I ran 9 miles. I took the day off from work yesterday and managed a great 14 mile trail run. Note: there's nothing like taking the day off and having perfect weather; 65-70 degrees, blue skies and a slight breeze. This morning I ran a mile with the dog before meeting Scott for close to 9 more miles.

Finally, last night I posted this interview with the world’s youngest 50-state/7-continent runner.

Quote of the day;

“I don’t know if I really have any strengths. One might be that I can pretty much train for a few weeks and go out and run close to a 3:00 hour marathon.”Steve Hibbs

No comments: