Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I'LL TAKE IT

I didn’t make it onto the treadmill for another run last night. Amy was gone and Katie was having a hard time falling asleep, so I didn’t want to be in the basement running. Instead, I posted this interview with one of Minnesota’s (and the US’s) up and coming marathon runners.

And since I didn’t double-back last night, I decided to get up earlier this morning and bump my mid-week medium-long run to 13 miles. That puts me at 76 miles for the last 7 days. I was hoping to get to 80 before cutting it back, but that’s all right. I’ll take it. Normally I like to cut back at the end of a week, but with a race on Monday, and having built up pretty aggressively since Boston, I’m going to cut back starting tomorrow.

This graph shows my 7-day rolling mileage since mid-December (pre-skiing). Day 136 is the taper for Boston, then a few days off before ramping back up.


I mentioned that I’ve been listening to some podcasts while running because I’m able to focus on the conversation better than any other time during the day. Some people get fired up listening to certain music, but for me, listening to Matt Tegenkamp talk about knowing racing is going to hurt, sticking his nose in with the Kenyans, grinding out the last 800-1,000 meters of a race, etc. does the trick.

One of the things I like about the podcast is you get a better feel for the runner’s personality and how much they love what they’re doing. With that said, Andrew Carlson is fast becoming one of my favorite runners.

Two of my other favorite runners, Matt Gabrielson and Katie McGregor have updated their journals. It’s nice to see that Matt is having fun with this project. Katie, on the other hand, is focused on the trials.

Quote of the day;

“It has always been apparent to me that speed is not one of my assets. Instead, endurance and determination have kept me competitive over the years.” - Ashley Anklam

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to understand your graph, and just not getting it (not surprised).

It says it is a 7-day rolling chart, but the interval at the bottom appears to be 9-days.

How does the bottom line work?

Chad said...

The bottom line is just the number of data points. So since mid-December there are roughly 160 data points. The "9 days" that you mentioned doesn't represent anything - I just happened to pick that in Excel.

The chart basically tells me my previous weeks mileage every day for the last 7 days, rather than waiting until Saturday when my log book ends. So say you're starting back up and during your first 7 days you run 10 miles a day. You'd have 1 data point of 70 miles for the "week". Now the next day your run 12 miles. That replaces your 10 miles from 8 days ago and you now have data point #2; 72 miles for the "week". And so on...

Adam said...

Does this graph include your skiing equivalent miles? I think it would be interesting to see skiing on the same graph in a different color. No real reason, I just like the graphs.

Chad said...

Adam, skiing "miles" are included. Maybe I'll try and split them out today if I have time.

Anonymous said...

You run a pretty high level of miles, what do you usually put on a pair of shoes before you retire them?

Chad said...

Mike, usually 400-600 depending on the make and model. Lightweight trainers like the New Balance 825 or 833 will be around 400. Some of the Asics trainers like the Landreths I've been able to get 600- 650 miles.