Wednesday, February 06, 2008

JUST THE OPPOSITE

As I’ve often warned, anything I receive is fair game for posting on my blog – unless otherwise state. With that said, I got this photo the other day. I think it’s a classic and can’t help but post it. If you’re local and want to take a stab at who the Tom Selleck look alike is – be my guest. Hint: The photo is from 1976 and he would have been younger than I am now. He’s heading off for his Birkie debut. While I’m not quite ready for the 51K distance, I’ve been kicking around the idea of doing the 23K Kortelopet on February 23rd. I was surprised to see that you can register right up to the night before the race.

I emailed some of my readers and told them that I almost hate to keep writing about my skiing. It seems kind of odd for a “running” blog. Sometimes I even find myself struggling with whether to run - almost for the sake of my readers and for the sake of “having” to run because I’m a runner - even though I really want to ski. Then I remind myself that this is my blog and who really cares what I do. So I go skiing. Plus, as Eric mentioned, skiing has introduced a freshness to my writing, which is a good thing.

Running-wise, I really should have done a hill workout today. Then I read Adam’s comment about only having about 4 weeks of skiing left – so I ended up skiing for an hour at Hyland Park. It’s funny, I remember commenting about a month ago on how I couldn’t wait for winter to be over. Now I feel just the opposite – I want the snow to stick around through March.

Anyway, just as I was finishing this morning I thought “Damn, that was fun.” I can’t remember the last time I said that after a workout. Then on the drive to work all I could do was look at the icy sidewalks and think that I could have been dealing with that instead of the snowy white solitude of the trails.

Quote of the day;

“I still bother with runners I call hamburgers. They’re never going to run any record times. But they can fulfill their own potential.” – Bill Bowerman

2 comments:

Mark H. said...

I never skied a birkie but I skied the trails there a lot back then and I also worked at Telemark. It may have been '76 when a friend and I got to be at the Birkie finish in the 'press box'. We knew the owner Tony Wise and he let us in. I felt a little unwelcome in there, with my $10 camera, and everyone else with their pro equipment.
--Mark

Chad said...

Hey Mark, good story. Maybe you saw "this guy" finish, if it was indeed 1976.