Monday, July 23, 2007

BACK TO THE GRIND

Vacation is over. Back to the grind. It was a typical vacation. Things moved slowly the first day or two, then before I knew it, it was time to head back to work. I got most of my odd jobs finished and was able to hang out with the kids some too. However, the deck is still not finished, so now I’ll have to figure out when I can get that taken care of.

I’m happy to report that I was able to get in 8 miles on Saturday. Seeing how we were at my brother’s house, I wasn’t sure what my training would end up looking like. That run gave me a nice, even, 70 miles for the week on 8 runs. Yesterday I managed 5 miles before leaving Madison and another 5 on the treadmill in the evening.

This week I’ve decided to switch my runs to the evening because 1) the Tour de France is getting exciting and if I watch it at night, I end up staying up till 10 PM. That’s too late if I want to get up at 5 AM or earlier, 2) it’s going to get hot and muggy, even at 5 AM, so I don’t mind being on the treadmill and 3) I’m going to work on adding in some longer tempo runs. Running them on the treadmill in the winter worked, so I’ll try that approach in the summer too.

Finally, congrats to Matt Gabrielson for his recent 5K PR. Here’s his entertaining post race interview.

Quote of the day;

“I have been waiting for three years for a personal best in the 5000. It has been a little bit of a rough road on the track for me but the lesson learned is to just keep plugging away.” – Matt Gabrielson

No comments: