Friday, March 09, 2007

ALIBIS

This is nothing new, but I read somewhere recently about how running opens up the mind and allows thoughts to flood in. I’d agree with that, because some of my most creative thoughts occur to me when I’m out running. However, I’d also say that this doesn’t occur all the time and you can’t force it to occur. It just sort of happens.

Today was one of those days for me. I only did a 6 mile recovery run, but I had tons of ideas rush into my head. Hopefully I’ll be able to turn a few of them into articles. I’d better because I was beginning to worry that I’d used up all my good ideas.

Here are some of the ideas;

1) A list of all the things I’ve (finally) learned about running. Most of these probably aren’t new, like “Listen to your body.” But they’ll have “my take” on them.
2) A review of some of my favorite running books, websites, on-line articles, blogs, etc.
3) Things I love about running.
4) And a list of common excuses that we “all” use. Maybe it'll be something like when people decipher the personal ads. For example, "great personality" means, "I'm not much to look at". For running, it'd be something like, "I was 'training through' this race" means "I haven't been training at all."
The last one came to me after listening to the local sports talk radio station on the way home. They were running down a list of the top-50 alibis used by the local sports teams. This list will have a lot more meaning if you’re familiar with the Minnesota teams. If not, maybe you can come up with your own list.

Quote of the day;

“Even when I went to the playground, I never picked the best players. I picked the guys with less talent, but who were willing to work hard, who had the desire to be great.” – Magic Johnson

2 comments:

Bart said...

I like the alibi list. Living in the East Bay, one of my favorite things in football season is reading the letters from Raiders fans trying to explain why their team lost. However, there are only two basic reasons. One is that the league (and the referees) hate the Raiders. The other is that Al Davis is out of touch with modern football/reality...

Bart

Faithful Soles said...

Chad, enjoyed your post and the rest of your blog entries. Like you, my Dad got me running when I turned 11 (36 years ago now) and I've kept it up ever since. If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. Thanks and keep up the good work in your training.