Thursday, October 12, 2006

WIND CHILL 13

Yesterday I was going to stop by a track on the way home and get in a little MP workout. But I couldn’t do it. I’m a wuss. It was 38 degrees with a wind chill of 26. Now I like winter running as much as the next person – probably more. However, it’s not winter. It was October 11th. I decided to jump on the treadmill for an easy 5 mile run instead. I’d push my workout back a day. The 5 miles on the treadmill felt great. I dropped the pace to 7:30 and it felt like I was jogging. Normally this pace feels a little harder.

After the run I checked my emails. There was a message from my coach asking how the taper was going. I replied;

It's kind of scary. During most of my marathon tapers I have some phantom injury flair up. This time around I've been feeling really good - maybe I got all the aches and pains out of my system during the training. Just walking around the office I keep thinking 'Damn, my legs feel good.'

I've been a little bummed that I haven't hit any solid training paces lately, but I've been doing them solo at 5:30 in the morning. I feel like the effort is there. Overall I'd say things are pointing in the right direction.

After sending that message, I took the dog out before going to bed. There was snow on the ground. Granted, it was just a dusting, but still…it was October 11th.

I’m happy to say that I did get in my MP workout this morning. I ran 8 miles, including 4 x 1 mile (7:10, 7:00, 6:44 and 6:44) with a 2:00 jog in-between. Again, not quit down to MP. The way I see it I’ll have something to motivate me as I train for my next marathon. I’ll tell myself ‘Dang, if I run those workouts at 6:40 pace, I’ll run a lot better.’

When I got to work I checked the weather. I knew it was chilly, but I didn’t expect to see 24 degrees with a wind chill of 13.

Quote of the day;

“I tell people to this day that what you do (in a marathon) is directly proportional to the amount and quality of your base training. And by quality, I don't mean speed.” - David Welch, who passed away last month

5 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

I like the cold too, it keeps my HR down. But it would be nice to "ease" into it and not go from 60 to 30 in one day :-)

Trisaratops said...

Can you just keep that up there or somethin'?

Cause we're supposed to get that tomorrow.

Ugh.

Too. early.

I'm sure we'll get some warm days soon....I hope!

MB said...

Thanks for the heads up as it usually means the cold weather is coming our way although not as severe.

IRT your article it may best to add a paragraph on bloglines. I found it ludicrous in the beginning to surf around to each blog to check and see if something was new. Some, would go by for weeks. Bloglines does the work for you, nice.

Also, suprised you didn't mention your own blog as a sample. I think it's the best of all!

Chad said...

Lance, you like it cold? You live in Texas.

Sara, "too early" is right. I'm sure it'll warm up again too. Hopefully not in 10 days though.

Mark, first I'm beyond flattered at your "best of all" comment. Thank you very much. I mentioned my own blog at the bottom in the bio portion.

I thought about adding in stuff about blogline, word verification, turning on/off comments, adding links and photos, etc. But then I figured that's beyond the basics. If people start up a blog they can get that advice from anyone out there just by asking.

Lance Notstrong said...

I guess what I call "cold", you would call "cool" Zeke. 50 IS cold for Texas!!! I guess I like it "cool" for running :-)