Friday, October 13, 2006

ON-PACE

I keep little post-it notes next to my computer and any time I think of an idea that I want to blog about, I make a little note. Well after yesterday’s post there weren’t any little yellow slips of paper left near my computer. I was out of ideas. But don’t worry. By the time I got to work this morning I had another list of ideas. They don’t really all go together, but it’s Friday so I’ll just throw it out there and see what happens.

The cold weather (37 degrees) didn’t chase me inside this morning – it was the 25 mph wind with gusts up to 40 mph. Really, I’m not this big of a wuss. But with Chicago only 10 days away I think I’ll put off as much misery until then. I ended up running an easy 5 miles on the treadmill.

Just in case you were wondering, this is a sample what my blog entries will start to look like if I’m “forced” to watch ESPN2 at 5:15 AM every day. Here’s what I learned and my comments on how they relate to running;

1) “Kurt Warner is contemplating retirement at the end of the season.” Hello! We are 5 weeks into the season and that is newsworthy? Hey, I might “retire” after Chicago. Or maybe I’ll wait till after next season. Who cares?

2) “Reggie Bush is ‘on-pace’ to catch more passes in a season than any other running back – ever.” Don’t you love the phrase ‘on-pace’? Again, we’re 5 weeks into the season. Update me when we’re about 10-12 weeks into the season. And I’d just like to apologize to everyone that ran TCM on October 1st for not congratulating you for being ‘on-pace’ for 812 miles in October.

3) I guess the Minnesota Wild are on pace for an 82-0 season. Sweet.

While I’m on the topic of other sports and since I’ve referred to Joe Mauer here before, I’ll throw this little nugget out there. Joe also played football in high school. During his senior year he threw 41 TDs with only 2 INTs – both interceptions were by Marion Barber who’s now a running back with the Cowboys. I just thought that way interesting.

Alright, back to running and a little self-marketing. I’m happy to announce that I’ve posted my first interview. Feel free to check it out and give any feedback – positive or negative, I can take it. Some people have mentioned that it’s kind of hard to read, so I may end up changing the colors.

Here were my initial thoughts;

I thought it might be too long and/or too impersonal? I just sent Don my entire list of questions and he answered nearly all of them so I just posted them all. I think Don did a great job answering the questions. Not sure if this style would work with someone that just gave one word answers. I just wonder if I should have done a little more give-and-take to focus on a few key topics and expanded on those. Partially I just wanted to get an interview up on the site since it seems like forever since I mentioned I was working on it.

I’m probably just being overly-critical. I’ve been getting a lot of positive feedback. Let’s just hope I can keep the site rolling. Thank you again to Don for being my guinea pig. Dateline NBC will be calling you soon.

Quote of the day;

“Live one day at a time and make it a masterpiece.” - Don Wright

4 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

I thought I was the only one that made notes on what to blog about :-) I keep mine in Word Pad though :-)

I haven't read your interview yet, I'm sure it's good. Something right off the top of my head you might try is send the questions, reviewing the answers and then sending a set of follow up questions if necessary.

Anonymous said...

Another thing about Joe Mauer that not everyone knows. He went to the same H.S. as Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke, was offered a scholarship to Florida State, and like Weinke, was told by Bobby Bowden that the offer was always open if Baseball didn't pan out.

Unlike CW, I think that baseball is working out quite nice for Mr. Mauer.

Chad said...

Lance, what do you do if you're not by the computer? Plus post-it notes are made by 3M, a Minnesota company, so I have to support them.

As for the follow up questions, that's what I meant when I said do a little more give-and-take before posting the interview.

Peter, Paul Molitor went to that HS too, though he wasn't offered a scholarship to FSU.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

I keep a sticky note pad in my pocket because ideas come to me in all kids of places. I have them stuck to my computer, bathroom mirror, car steering wheel, the family cat... like I said they're all over the place. It only becomes troulbe if I have an idea while in the shower. Now if 3M can solve that one...

Stay tuned...