Tuesday, October 31, 2006

NUMBERS ASPECT

Not much going on today and I wasn’t even going to post. Then I went out at lunch and saw a gal running on the wrong side of a 4-lane road WITH headphones on. The only thing she had going for her was that it’s a bright sunny day. Come on lady, use some fucking common sense. You don’t run in the road with your back to traffic and you sure as hell don’t do it with headphones on. I guess if you’re going to get hit, you don’t want to hear it coming. Man, that pisses me off.

I’m really fired up to start increasing my miles again, but I’m not sure why. I think it’s because I enjoy base-training and the whole “numbers aspect” of trying to do more than I’ve done in the past. The race results I had last year in March and April have me fired up to see what’s in store for this winter.

It’s funny; a day or two ago I was thinking, “I’ll just take it easy for the next 3 weeks or so and just run however I feel.” Today I was thinking, “I wonder how quickly I can ramp up my mileage.” We’ll see…I am taking today off, so I'll be able to start November feeling fresh. That means I'll close out October with 177 miles.

Quote of the day;

“This obsession with running is really an obsession with the potential for more and more life.” – George Sheehan

4 comments:

D said...

Some people simply do not have any common sense! I love the quote.

Mike said...

Zeke,
Any run over 3 miles puts me on a 4 laner with cars wizzing by at 50+. I see people running on the wrong side all the time and it freaks me out!
Luckily the roadkill I've witnessed so far has been limited to the 4 legged variety.

massoman said...

thanks for the tips.

i don't understand runners who run with traffic either. i passed a string of them yesterday morning going with traffic with earbuds and no lights or reflective gear at about 5:45am.

Chad said...

Yeah, I wanted to run her over and I was concerned for her safety.