Wednesday, October 18, 2006

SUCH A WIMP

Well I didn’t get nervous typing yesterday’s blog entry. The nervousness came later in the day. After work I had time to kill before meeting some folks from MDRA regarding writing for their fine publications. I decided to stop by the local running store on my way. I knew she worked there, occasionally, but I guess I didn’t expect to see her there. You’d think the President of her fan club would be able to put together a couple of sentences, wish her luck at NYC and possibly even ask her if she’d like to be interview after she gets back to town. But nooooo...I couldn’t do it. You’d think I was going to ask her to marry me. WTF? I’m such a wimp.

I will admit that I was a little distracted though. Sitting on a table in the store was a book on the history of the Minnesota state high school track and field meet from like 1925 through 1999. It had results and photos and it was simply amazing – and I’m not even a native Minnesotan. But when you see names like Nenow, Kempainen, Holman, Plascencia, Bjorklund and even “just” guys whose names you see in the results every week – it’s pretty freakin’ cool. Now I understand why the guys whose names appear in the results every week are kicking my ass – because they ran times like 4:19 and 9:27 in high school. Frank Shorter was right, everyone did run 4:30 in high school – except me.

Unfortunately, the book wasn’t for sale. So I jotted down the author’s name, did a quick Google search this morning and BAM…there was his email address right in front of me. I sent a quick email inquiring about the book and 90 minutes later I had my reply; send $25 to said author and I’ll get a copy. Again, pretty freakin’ cool.

Anyway, off to the MDRA meeting where I held my nerves in-check upon meeting this guy. Sorry Jason, but I didn’t find you as intimidating as Katie. I met some other cool people and we just sat around and bounced ideas for topics off on another and picked up some writing tips.

When I got home I stayed up way too late posting another interview. I’m thinking if I can’t get over my nervousness this site may end up just being interviews of men. Not!!!

Alright, it feels like I’m all over the map with this post. But I’m too wound up to worry about it and I have too much to do before we leave tomorrow. If you have nothing better to do on a nice fall day and want to see how I did at Chicago, my bib is #5603.

Quote of the day;

“Men, today we die a little.” – Emil Zatopek, on the starting line for the Olympic Marathon

23 comments:

Bart said...

Best of luck this weekend. Run smart!

Bart

Lance Notstrong said...

That chick is solid muscle!!!

Trisaratops said...

Alright, 5603, I'm keepin' my eye out for you!

Sincerely,
2198

brent said...

we were that close to reading an interview about her!!??

Chad said...

Brent, have faith - it'll just take a little time. Plus I'll have to do it through email because I'll be so nervous.

MB said...

I came across another State running blog that may interest you if you haven't seen it already.
It's by Carolyn Thornton of the Providence Journal at http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/running/

Chad said...

Mark, thanks for the link - I like it. We have a few regional sites that kind of try and do something similar with race recaps, results, upcoming events, etc.

Jenny said...

Good luck for Chicago!

D said...

Good luck this weekend Zeke.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Have a great race this weekend.

seebo said...

I will indeed be keeping tabs this weekend. Good luck!

Lawrence said...

Good luck from Canada!

Chelle said...

Thanks for the #...I'm right now putting together my list of people to watch in Chicago so I don't forget anyone.

You're right to be nervous. You know that redheads bite, don't you?

Love2Run said...

Love that Zatopek quote. Do your best and only die a little!

qcmier said...

I'd have to look back at some of my results, but I'm sure I ran into Ms. McGregor at some high school meet. You could always ask her what she thinks of the Eastlake North Rangers or the South Rebels.

I'll join you in the never ran 4:30 in high school club. Only had one opportunity to race the mile.

Good luck in Chi-town.

Justin said...

Good luck in Chicago, I'm looking forward to hearing about it!

Ryan said...

Let's rock Chicago... see you at the finish - hopefully not too far behind you.

Wayne said...

Good luck.

Chelle said...

Oof...I just got the text message of your finish. Congrats on getting back in sub-3 territory! Looks like those last few miles might have been tough, windy ones. Looking forward to the report once you get a shower, a nap and a little down time.

Thomas said...

2:58:57. Congratulations on another sub-3 finish. Great Run!

Mike said...

Great job today Zeke, I'm looking forward to the report. You ran tough.

Trisaratops said...

GREAT JOB!!!! I swear I looked SO MUCH for you and never saw you! I was at mile 5, 10, and 23 screaming my arse off...you were just so fast you must have been a blur.

Sub-3. Fricken awesome.

Andrew said...

Great job!