Thursday, June 08, 2006

HIGHS AND LOWS

Alright, as you’ve all probably guessed by now, I cancelled my orthopedic appointment and set up an ART appointment for tomorrow. I just have a sense that ART is going to be more helpful. If not, I can always reschedule my appointment.

I haven’t really posted an update on my leg (or my training) because there hasn’t been anything to post. Today is my 16th day without any form of exercise. My leg is feeling better, though not 100%. I jogged with the dog for a minute this morning and I could still feel “something” in my calf. It wasn’t painful at all, just “there.” My concern is that it’ll flare up if I start back too soon.

As for the time off, I’m not too concerned. I just read in the latest Triathlete magazine that Cameron Brown takes a month off – every year. And as another local triathlete has mentioned; athletes that don’t take any downtime don’t experience the highs and lows – just plateaus. This is the first time I can remember taking more than a week off in a long time. Hopefully it’ll lead to new highs like these guys suggest.

Just to make it clear, I haven’t been sitting on my ass playing x-box this whole time either. Here’s a before and after picture of the dining room chairs that I’ve been re-finishing. I’m done with 3 and have 3 more to go. I hope to wrap this project up this weekend. Just in time to start training again?



Another thing I’m thinking about doing is putting together a list of things I want to do some day. I don’t want to look back some day and see “just” a bunch of 5k – marathon races. I hope to have some x-c skiing, mountain biking, relays, tris, etc. mixed in. I just heard about this relay and it may have to appear on the list. Anyway, I have some things in my head; I just haven’t put pen to paper – or fingers to keyboard - yet.

Today’s quote of the day comes from my friend Scott’s high school coach.

"It's your leg that's hurt. Don't let it hurt your head."

6 comments:

Beanie said...

Great attitude! And good job on the chairs :) I tried that once and just don't have the patience for it.

Mike said...

Chad,
I've had ART done a couple times when they had booths set up at IM events. I didn't get a lot of education on it but it seemed a little more involved then my typical Chiro adjustment- good luck with that. 16 days off- yikes! I can relate...I just went thru a dry spell myself. If it's any consolation, my first ride / run session, post break, was great! I'm sure your fitness will be there once you get back in the saddle.

Chad said...

Yvonne, it's one of those jobs that's fun at first, but then it becomes a chore. I can't wait to be done with these things.

Mike, I'm hoping to get educated along the way here too. Not too worried about fitness, it can be re-built.

SRR said...

Eww!! I like that quote!

massoman said...

I had ART done this last Monday, with more, hopefully, next week. Check out the Active Release Therapy website. If your doc is good at assessment and experienced with the technique it can/will be very benefical with a noticable change in function and movement after the first session. It's reported to be intense, but it was not for me. For you,no worse then the hill training you've done.
The chairs look good

Chad said...

Susan, I've never had the vomiting problem - just dry heaves.

Massonman, did someone steal your blog? Thanks for the ART insight. I didn't find it "intense".