Thursday, April 14, 2005

EDGE OF YOUR SEAT

Thought I’d better post the results from this morning’s run right away, since you’re all probably on the edge of your seats.

It was a great morning, 40-45 degrees, clear and no wind. I started with an easy 2 miles before picking up the pace. It took about 18 minutes to get to the track. Once I got there I just kept right on running. I ran 3 miles (okay 4800 meters) on the track in 20:38 or roughly 6:55 pace before heading back. Overall, I ran 12 miles with the middle 8 at an up-tempo pace.

I tried not to pick up the pace while on the track, but human nature may have kicked in a little. One thing is or sure, the 3 miles on the track were more stressful than the other 5 miles. There’s just something about being on a track that makes you think you have to worry about every lap and hit your splits – even though I only looked at my watch after every mile. The weird thing is the track was only about 10-12 feet wide - that made the straights look really long and the turns seem really short. At first I questioned if it was accurate or not. But given my pace and effort, I think it was.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with my pace. If I only ran 3 miles at that pace it’d be a little disappointing. I have to remind myself that I ran 8 miles at that pace, not just the 3 on the track. It was comfortably hard and I know I can run faster.

No comments: