Thursday, April 28, 2005

COURSE PREVIEW

Today I decided to run the Get in Gear course to help prepare myself for this Saturday. I ended up running 8 miles total with 2 x 1 "mile" in 7:00 with a mile jog between. I run on these roads quite a bit, but like I said before, I’ve only run this race once. After today’s run, I may have to change the strategy I posted 2 days ago.

This is a beautiful course, of which about 3 miles follow the Twin Cities Marathon course (roughly miles 16-18 and 20.5-21.5). It starts at Minnehaha Falls Park and runs along the West side of the Mississippi River for about 2.5+ miles, crosses over the river and comes back along the East side, crosses the river again before finishing back at the park. The first 2.5 miles of this of this course should be smokin’ fast, as it’s all gradual downhill to flat. It then has a little climb as we cross over the Lake Street Bridge into St. Paul, so the 3rd mile could be a little slow. Just after the halfway point the biggest hill on the course appears, leading up to the University of St. Thomas. Even with the “free-fall” after this hill, I expect the 4th mile to be the slowest. The 5th mile is all flat and the only climb during the 6th mile the Ford Parkway Bridge heading back to Minneapolis.

Given the layout of the first 2 miles I’m now planning on playing closer attention to effort than pace. If I hit those first 2 splits in sub-6, as long as I’m not breathing like I’m running a 5k, I won’t be too worried. I think the key for me is to get to about 3.5 miles (the top of the hill) feeling decent. Then I should be able to pick up the pace and finish strong. The more I think about this race and my training, the more I think I’m being conservative with my 37:30-38:00 goal. I think I could feel like total dog shit and still break 38. I guess I’ll find out on Saturday.

No comments: