Tuesday, April 05, 2005

BLESSING IN DISGUISE

Today’s plan called for a double day with 5 easy in the morning and 11 miles of hills in the evening. Usually I run with my team on Tuesday evenings, however my wife had a meeting tonight so I couldn’t make it. I was a little bummed at first, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I got my 5 miles in during the morning and even threw in some strides. Then as the day progressed I felt worse and worse. I was getting a cold and had to blow my nose every 30 seconds. By the time I got home I just wanted to go to bed. If my wife didn’t have her meeting I’d probably have joined my team for 11 hilly miles. Instead, I opted for getting more rest and went to bed at 8:15.

In the past, missing a workout would probably really freak me out and I’d be trying to “make up” the miles that I missed. I’m still a little disappointed because this is supposed to be my highest weekly mileage during my marathon build-up. But I figure it’s more important to get healthy as soon as possible. Besides, if I only run 65 or 70 miles this week instead of 85, is it really going to make that big of a difference? Right now I want to get healthy so I can get in my 21 mile long run this Saturday.

No comments: