Thursday, December 13, 2007

UP THE ANTE

I think the end of yesterday’s post leads right into today’s post. I find I usually run more during holidays and non-traveling vacations. Since I have vacation to burn before the end of the year, I’m going to be able to take 6 more days off of work in December, including today and tomorrow.

One of my main concerns with the snow and cold weather is that I won’t be able to get in my medium-long run during the week. Well this week I’ve been able to get in TWO medium-long runs.

With the day off, I took advantage by running a nice 15 miler in the sunlight. The first six miles of this run were the worst as four of the first five miles were into a steady wind and the sixth mile was up a big hill. Miles 6 through 8 where at 7:30 pace with a gradual downhill and the wind at my back. Then I ran five miles on the Eagan route that Chris Lundstrom was talking about the other day.

I was starting to drag around mile 12 and could have been happy with calling it a day after 13 miles. However, I figure there are certain points in your training where you have to up the ante a little – today was my day. I added on two loops of the Camp Sacajawea hill that I mentioned earlier this week. I like to affectionately refer to it as “Mt. Sac” in my training log.

Not only did this give me my second 15 miler of the week, along with a 20 miler, it put me at 90 miles for the last 7 days – all in singles. And since that figure ends in a zero, it has to be a milestone. Right? Of course, if I was like Evan and tracked my miles AND my kilometers, I’d still have 5K more to go to get to 150K for the week.

Finally, I’ve been thinking a little about goals for 2008. I’ve been going back and forth on whether or not to post them, or should I say “it”. Having a blog, I guess I should make it public. And since Sara threw her goals out there the other day, I thought I would too.

I’m bypassing 2:55 and going after sub-2:50 instead. I can remember stating 2:55 as a goal before I ever broke 3 hours. Of course that never happened, but maybe I need to aim a little higher in order to have an intermediate breakthrough.

Quote of the day;

“Are you almost done.” – Katie, my daughter, who wants to use the computer now.

9 comments:

Trisaratops said...

LOL--nice quote of the day, Katie!

Way to put it out there. 08's gonna be a good one.

brent said...

nice quote of the day, heh heh.

Anonymous said...

Sub 2:50...now we're talkin'.

Love2Run said...

cute, is a runner ever really done? You're smart putting out a tough but doable goal like that. We'll hold your feet to the fire too!

Bill said...

I still think your Grandma's effort is worth a 2:50 or better.
Your right on the money.

Chad said...

I should have said, Katie, my 4-year old daughter. It's amazing how quickly they pick things up.

Bill, I like the way you think, but until I run 2:50 - it's just speculation.

Gregg said...

Chad- I know exactly how you feel. I have a pretty strong goal for the marathon as well, and my first is to run in the 2:30's. For the last two years I feel the "effort" was worth it, but guess what? I didn't do it, and until I/we do it doesn't count.
Great training lately, keep up the good work. Put in the hard work, good things are bound to happen!
Gregg

Anonymous said...

It's good to have time goals, but don't get too hung up on them. I ran a 2:57 back in 1995, and had visions of a 2:55 or even 2:50, but actually I never broke 3 hours again.

As long as you can leave a race and say "I ran the best I could today", should be enough.

At some point in your running career, you have to realize that your best races are behind you, and you have to find a new reason to run.

Chad said...

Anonymous,

I get what you're saying, but in order to be happy with saying, "I ran the best I could today" don't you really have to train the best you could?

I mean I could "run the best I could today" on 30 mpw or 80 mpw. There's going to be a difference in the results.

When you look back to your training after 1995, what do you see? Did you ramp things up, so you can look back without any regrets or did you maintain similar training, but just not get the results you were looking for?