Friday, December 07, 2007

OBSERVATIONS

Yesterday’s run produced a lot of thoughts, but then I didn’t have any time during the day to write them down. It seems about this time every year I start to question the pacing of my runs. Usually, I’m just concerned with building my mileage, so I don’t worry about pace too much. Most of my getting-in-the-miles pace is probably around 8:00 – 8:30 (on clear roads). Then on Saturday’s my group runs are probably closer to 7:00 – 7:30 pace.

When I check out Thomas’ blog, he’s running similar mileage to me and he’s probably averaging 30 seconds per mile faster than I am. However, his marathon PR is 30-35 seconds per mile slower than mine.

What does it all mean? Is someone right and someone wrong? Would he improve more by slowing down? Would I improve more by speeding up? Are we just different? Or maybe there are just too many other variables that come into play.

I don’t have the answers, just the observations.

I don’t think it’s that I can’t handle the pace, however, I just usually settle into a comfortable pace and just go with it – unless I make a conscious effort to change it. Maybe I need to make that conscious effort. Doesn’t Lydiard say something like you can “get there” with easy aerobic running, but you can get there quicker with stronger paced aerobic runs?

Anyway, I ended up with 11 miles yesterday and followed that up with 10 this morning. I’m not sure why, but 8 degrees this morning felt cold, especially on my hands and face. And get this, I literally had half a mile left this morning and I was thinking about what I should blog about. My cold hands and thicker gloves came to mind and then, seriously, like two minutes later I found these big mittens sitting on the ground. They were frosted over and looked like they’d been there awhile, so I grabbed them. With temps below zero tomorrow morning, they may come in handy.

Linky, linky Friday; Katie McGregor’s updated journal on key aspects of Minnesota. Antonio Vega’s journal talks about running in waist-deep snow. I’m not sure where he’s training – they must have been shoveling it into a pile at the university. Finally, thanks to Eric for this NYT article on disassociation.

Quote of the day;


“He called me at the finish and I told him that I was sorry. Honestly, I was very angry to break Paul’s record. This was not just another record; this was Paul’s record. Paul is not only my rival who pushed me to records and challenged me in championships; he is a good friend.” – Haile Gebrselassie regarding breaking Paul Tergat’s World Record for the marathon

3 comments:

Love2Run said...

We runners do get a little obsessed with our paces don't we? Fast enough? Too slow? Cost / benefit? I've also wondered about Thomas's speediness lately and see Andrew just barely moving on his easy days. I prefer what feels comfortable too (8-830 and my marathon is way slower than you) but still wonder if I'm trying hard enough. It's a tough call.

Thomas said...

That's funny, because just a few days ago I was having exactly the same thoughts: Chad is training slower than me, but his PRs are better than mine.

I honestly don't think I'm running too fast. I've been settled in that pace for a few weeks now, and I think running too fast would have caught up with me by now.

It could have something to do with the fact that I have been running for only 3 years, and I'm still developing. My marathon PR has dropped by over 50 minutes in that time, and I expect it to drop further in the next 2 or 3 years. By how much I shall see, but I sure hope to break 3 hours.

On the other hand, I don't think pace matters too much during base training. Getting your miles in is the most important thing, everything else is secondary.

Chad said...

Mike,

Yeah, we like to obsess over everything. When I see you running 50 mpw at 8s, I can write it off to having fresher legs due to the lower mileage. When I see Thomas running 90 mpw at 7:30 pace, it raises a flag.

Thomas, I can't see you NOT breaking 3 hours. If you don't it won't be for lack of trying.