Thursday, October 04, 2007

MISCALCULATED

Wow, has it been nearly a week without blogging? I haven’t blogged mostly because I’ve been busy at work. Plus, there’s not much going on right now with my running.

It turns out I miscalculated my September miles. I thought I wasn’t going to be over 100, but after Saturday’s 10 mile run, I realized I was at 92. Sunday I ran 8 on the treadmill while the Vikes and Packers were playing, so I did in fact get in a whopping 100 miles for the month.

Actually both of those runs went very well and I was even kicking around the idea of running TCM for “fun”. I was kind of curious what kind of time I could run after tanking the last 6 weeks of training. I was starting to think 3:15-3:20 would be possible. However, after watching the forecasted temperatures slowly creep up during the week, I’ve given up any thoughts of running. A few days ago it looked like it’d be a perfect 40 degrees at the start. Now it’s looking like it’ll be around 60-65.

It’s kind of funny, my cube neighbor at work is running TCM and it’ll be his first marathon. Any time his phone rings or someone stops by, he starts talking about the weather forecast. Even if I hadn’t looked it up myself, I’d know exactly what’s in store because of him. It’s kind of “fun” to listen to him freak out.

As for my own running, I’m just trying to wrap my head around base building again. The first week or two always seem to suck because I worry about pace or miles and I’m not in any kind of routine. Then I just sort of get in a zone and put in the miles. Hopefully I’ll get to that phase sooner rather than later.

I haven’t read a bunch of blogs lately, but I didn’t see a whole lot of talk about the new world record for the marathon. This post-race video interview is rather long, but since it’s conducted by my college coach, it’s worth watching.

Quote of the day;

“If you want to run, run a mile. If you want to experience another life, run a marathon.” – Emil Zatopek

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chad,
If I were you I would run for fun, take it as one of your long practice runs, free water stops,music, people etc. But what the heck I know about running, its my second marathon ever. I wish I could do 3:20 marathon,would be able to qualify for Boston, but its almost impossible for me to run that fast, heck I don't even know what pace I should be going at TCM, I want to run at least 8:30 a mile, but on the other hand don't want to be burned out at mile 20.I ran COL 8:30 per mile but I was just running not racing. May be some day I'll get there in the mean time I just want to have fun and have a good race, may be do a little better than Grandmas.

Anonymous said...

Chad, you had a lot of running "in the tank", I don't think you're going to do as bad as your head tells you.

I could easily see you running a steady 7-minute mile pace; if all the stars line up, you could dip under 3:00. Won't hurt (much) to try.

brent said...

well at least he isn't running chicago. heh. on that note, any last words of advice regarding chicago vs tcm?

Anonymous said...

Hey Chad,
I went through a funk after g-ma's this year and two things helped me out tremendously. One was pacing a friend in a race (maybe you know someone who has a time goal that you could run easily) I had a blast even though I ran the 1/2 marathon 35 minutes slower than usual. The other thing was running a trail marathon (Moose Mountain). I had a blast and I could worry about time because the course was way too tough. I just kicked back and had fun the whole way. It got me going again and set some trail goals for me along the way.

Sean

Chad said...

Brent, I guess the good news is that you don't have any hills to worry about at Chicago. That means you'll be able to focus on the heat instead.