Friday, December 08, 2006

WHAT'S NEW?

I didn’t post yesterday because I was busy buying new shoes and working on questions for some exciting interviews. The guys at the store mentioned this site, which is basically MySpace for athletes. I haven’t checked it out yet. But I figure if you guys aren’t spending enough time on the internet, I’d help you out.

And thanks to Tracy for letting me know that Katie updated her journal yesterday. Let me just say that Team Minnesota is kicking ass on the Mammoth Lakes group when it comes to blogging.

I was looking for some photos from some local races and I came across these shots from Chicago.

I’m still contemplating my training. What’s new? I think I will try to get back to doing as much of my mileage in singles as possible. Ideally, I think I can handle 75-80 mpw in singles. Then I’d like to add in 2-3 more runs on top of that.

Of course, this depends on the weather a little. Yesterday it was 0 with a wind chill of minus 10-15. I didn’t see getting in a 13-14 miles in one run, so I broke it into a very easy (9:00 pace) 7 miles in the morning and a quicker (7:30 pace) 8 miles on the treadmill in the evening. One thing I like about splitting up the workouts is that I can run quicker on the treadmill than I can outside.

The nice thing about yesterday’s 0 degrees is that it made this morning’s 15 degrees feel balmy. We still don’t have any snow, which kind of sucks. If it’s going to be this cold, the brown grass might as well be covered up. Anyway, I made it 10 miles this morning at 8:20 pace. I may throw in 4 miles tonight for the soul purpose of bumping my weekly mileage to the mid-80s. We’ll see.

Quote of the day;

“During the winter, you head out into the darkness for a run. When spring comes, and the first crocus pokes up its head...you know it was worthwhile.” – Nina Kuscsik, First woman’s winner of the Boston Marathon

4 comments:

Chad said...

Mid 1s, does that mean you're running 1.5 miles per week?

Mike said...

Zeke,
I got a good laugh from your comment about 15 deg feeling balmy after the day of 0 deg w/ windchill. Sheez- hope it warms up a bit for you!!

Hey- do you run with any incline when you do your mill runs?

Chad said...

Mike, I'm aware of the whole 1-2% incline "needed" to simulate running outdoors, but I don't do that. Someone once told me leaving the 'mill flat is "free speed."

Once in awhile I will use the hill program on the 'mill - just to mix things up.

Mike said...

Thanks Zeke- in my informal survey of faster runners, I am finding that most of them don't use any incline while on the mill. I'll have to use your free speed theory!