Thursday, December 28, 2006

TRAINING UPDATE

Alright, I finally made it through Sport Illustrated’s top-20 list, so I thought I’d better get back to blogging. I’m off from work this week, which makes for good running, but terrible blogging. Here’s an update on my training since my last post;

Friday afternoon I ran an easy 5 miles.

Saturday morning was a nice 18-mile group run. That’s my longest run since Chicago and it gave me 83 miles for the week, on 8 runs.

Sunday was an easy 12 miles on the local golf course and trails. We got just enough freezing rain and snow to make things fairly slick. Even the fairways were icy.

Monday was a recovery day, consisting of two easy 5-mile runs.

Tuesday I thought I’d mix in a little tempo. So after 6 miles at 8:00 pace I threw in a 3-mile tempo around 6:20-6:25 pace, followed by a mile cool-down.

Wednesday I headed back to the golf course. I was bored after 50 minutes to I hit some trails at Lebanon Hills that I’d never been on before. I kept thinking, “Is it really December 27th?” I shouldn’t be able to run on these trails – at least not without snow covering them. I ended up running for 2:04 and called it 15 miles.

This morning I met Evan for a nice 10 mile run in the Minnesota Wildlife Refuge along the Minnesota River.

Just when I think my training is going really well, I end up running with someone, like Evan or Jenna, who puts my training to shame. Maybe I need to start training with people that are slower than me.

Finally, even with the holidays, I was able to get another interview posted.

Quote of the day;

“I have a full plate so my schedule doesn't really match up to anyone else’s. I have a full time job and a part time job. My wife is a nurse so her schedule isn't always the same. My two sons are very active as well. We make things work but running can sometimes interfere. I sneak runs in when I can.” - Pete Gilman

2 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Your mileage and times are amazing. I hope to someday come close to those times and distances. You're an inspiration to me. :)

D said...

As usual, your training seems to be going very well!