Friday, April 14, 2006

CATCHING UP

Hmmm, do I need to state the obvious? It’s really hard to blog when I’m NOT at work. I took 1 day off and it seems like I haven’t posted forever. So here’s a quick update;

As I was leaving work Wednesday night I was cursing myself for turning my alarm off in the morning. My exact thought was, “Shit, I haven’t run yet today.” After helping to put the girls to bed, I finally hopped on the treadmill around 7:30 with the hopes of getting in 8 miles. The Twins/A’s games was on and I just zoned out. Nearly 2 hours later I had run 15 miles.

Thursday was my day off from work. I took Kinsey in the stroller for a morning run. We started to get rained on a little, so I stopped after 4 miles. After a light shower, it turned into a beautiful day; a record high of 84 degrees (without the typical summertime humidity).

Of course, during this gorgeous day, Kinsey and I were sitting inside the Metrodome watching the Twins game. You’d think this wouldn’t bother a guy that can run 15 miles on the treadmill when it’s 65 degrees out, but it does. Indoor baseball sucks. I was sitting there wondering how hard it would be to rip the roof off the dome.

Anyway, I think Kinsey went for 2 reasons; 1) cotton candy and 2) to sing “Take me out to the ballgame.” We left after 7 innings and had a great time; 8-2 victory and sweep of the A’s (too bad it wasn’t the Tribe or the Sox), a day off work, quality time with one of my girls, etc. In the evening I managed to in another 7 miles. It was still 75 degrees out at 8 PM.

This morning I really did not want to get out of bed at 4:40, but I thought back to Wednesday and my thoughts about still having to run, as I left the office. I didn’t want to go through that again, even if the Twins/Yankees are on TV tonight. So I got up and managed 11 miles. I picked the pace up a little as the run went along; starting at 8:45s and working down to 7:10s. During the last 2 miles I slowed down and threw in 6 x 20 second strides.

Finally, I hope everyone going to Boston has an awesome race. I’m wearing my Boston t-shirt today, in honor of you guys; Woody, training partners Mary and Roger, along with Evan (who’s running for “fun”), Elizabeth, TriMike, Kim, and CanadaMike. I’m sure I missed a ton of bloggers and I apologize.

Today’s quote of the day is for those running Boston or any other race this weekend:

“I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips, straining upon the start.” Shakespeare, Henry V

1 comment:

E-Speed said...

Thanks for the shoutout Zeke!

Hmm your stats on that 10k and 20k are pretty impressive. Glad all that high mileage is paying off!