Sunday, April 16, 2006

BRIGHT IDEA

As the work day wound down on Friday I got this bright idea to email Jenna to see if she wanted to meet for a long run on Saturday. Usually, I have a tough time getting together with people on such short notice, but everything seemed to workout well and we agreed to meet at Minnehaha Falls at 7:30 AM. Nothing like "sleeping in" till 6:15 on your day off.

Jenna brought along Derek, whom I've run with one other time. We started out along the Get in Gear course, which is a 10k we're all running on the 29th. Then we stayed along the Mississippi River for a little longer, crossed a bridge into St. Paul and ran through the U of MN campus, before finishing up along the 2nd half of the Get in Gear course. It was another gorgeous morning; 55-60 degrees, sunny with a moderate breeze.

After about 1:45 I was really starting to drag - mainly since the pace was quicker than I normally run, especially for that distance. I managed to hang on for 2:02 before saying goodbye as those guys added on some more. I called that 17 miles, even though it was probably a little shorter.

I was a little bummed about not getting in a 20 miler, but sometimes a quicker, shorter run is better than a longer, slower run. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Next weekend I'll go solo and make sure I get in a long run.

Everyone has probably heard today's quote of the day, it ties in nicely with my next post;

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

No comments: