Friday, November 18, 2005

IT’S ALL RELATIVE

I went to Susan’s blog this morning and she said, “It’s cold again, 34 degrees.” When I ran this morning it was 30 degrees and I thought, “Wow, 20 degrees warmer than yesterday, this is nice.” I suppose it’s all relative.

I met Scott again today and we did the same 6.5 mile route as last Friday. We ran 75 seconds faster this week, but it didn’t really seem like it. Looks like we won’t hook up next week because of Thanksgiving, but we’d better met the week after that because I loaned him my new Neil Young CD.

A lot of the blogs I’ve been reading lately have the same general tone that mine may have. Everyone wants to be “there” right now. “There” meaning everyone wants to be fit or be maxing out their mileage or be in racing shape. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) running doesn’t work that way. We have to “suffer” through long stretches of hard work in order to enjoy the rewards of running fast later. Probably my favorite quote regarding cross country is “Cross Country is a summer sport played out in the fall.” If that’s too deep for you on a Friday, it means if you don’t do the work in the summer, come fall, you’re season is going to suck. Obviously, now that I don’t run cross country, I have to change the verbiage so it relates to my upcoming racing season.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another common thread seems to be people plagued with injury. I just want the chance to do the work so I can be ready for the Spring. Now is definately over.

Chad said...

Rob, sorry to hear about the injury. Are people jumping back into training too soon?