Sunday, January 15, 2006

WEEKEND RECAP

Saturday morning I met Evan at Lake Nokomis for an 11 mile run down the Minnehaha Parkway, around Lake Harriet and back. That run means I finished my cut-back week with 50 miles – half of Evan’s mileage for the week. I’m finding that I look forward to the cut-back week during the first 3 days, then I get antsy for the next 2 days. Finally, I convince myself to lay low for the final 2 days, so I can ramp back up the following week.

Sunday would have been a nice day to run outside however, I needed to stay home while Katie napped because Amy and Kinsey ran some errands. So I jumped on the treadmill and watch the Pittsburg versus Indy playoff game. I made it 10.5 miles before Katie woke up. Then I hopped back on for another 3.5 miles to give me 14 for the day.

The other day I mentioned being intrigued by the mental aspects of sports. Today’s game between Pitt and Indy was a perfect example. Trailing 21-18 in the final minute, Indy’s kicker, Mike Vanderjaqt had a chance to tie the game with a 43-yard field goal. The announcer had just mentioned that Vanderjaqt was the most accurate kicker in NFL history when he proceeded to BADLY miss the field goal. What’d Yogi say? “90% of the game is half mental.”

No comments: