Thursday, January 19, 2006

SUPERIOR

I did get 5 more miles on the treadmill last night. I mentioned that our new treadmill has a bunch of features (that will probably never get used) on it. Last night I tried out the Fitness Test feature. You punch in your age, weight, strap on a heart rate monitor and pick a pace (slower than 8:00 pace) that you want to maintain for a (whole) mile. Since you plug in your age, I assume the program is using a formula like 220 - age or 200 – half your age. Right there the validity can be thrown out the window. Anyway, after a 3:00 warm-up, I ran a mile in 8:30 with an incline of 1% and a HR around 140-145. The results: a perfect score of 100 for a “Superior” rating. While I’ll probably never use this again, I think it’s a cool feature for someone who’s just getting into running.

This morning I started out with a mile with Bailey. Then I ran out-and-back 4.5 miles. The “out” was into the wind at about 8:30 pace. When I turned around I decided to take advantage of the wind and pick it up a little. After 2 miles at 7:30 pace I felt like I was worrying about pace instead of just relaxing. It felt forced, so I backed off the pace. This 10 mile run gives me a nice round 200 for the month so far.

So I went to the local running store, Run ‘n Fun, over lunch today. On my way there I’m following a guy with a bumper sticker of "The Bird." That’s nice. When I get to the store, the guy working remembers me from like 4-5 months ago (the only other time we've met). I mean he remembers my first and last name – after only speaking with me once. I guess those are the things that make a good sales man. Giving me 20% off a pair of shoes helps too. In the past I’d run in anything from trail shoes to bulky cushioning shoes to light weight trainers. The light weight trainers just feel so much better, so I bought a new pair of New Balance 833s. I’ll alternate them with my Asics Speedstars.

7 comments:

Chad said...

Well having 2 pairs of shoes isn't going to take your half from 2:00 to 1:50. :-)

I think having 2 (or more) pairs does a few things;

1) Shoes last a little longer because you're not pounding on them every day.

2) Having 2 different models (and even brands) is a nice variation for your feet and legs - they don't get used to the same thing. Besides, we know that shoe companies are continuously changing their models. I just heard today that Nike is replacing the Skylon - another one of my lightweight trainers.

3) With the snow around here at this time of year, you gotta have multiple pairs of shoes, especially if you're running two-a-days.

4) It's fun. I'm sure shopper-Susan can relate to that. By the way, I'm shocked you only have one pair of running shoes.

Unknown said...

Zeke,

I am sure you just sold Shopper and RunnerSusan on another pair of shoes. I agree that alternating shoes is a great way to keep the shoes lasting a bit longer. I am currently rotating six pairs. The only down side to this is that it is going to be awhile before I can justify another pair of shoes to my wife.

Chad said...

Rob, with the weather you've had in Seattle lately, you probably need 365 pairs of shoes - just to let them dry out before using them again.

There are lots of things I try to justify spending money on to my wife. Running shoes aren't one of them.

Trisaratops said...

I'm so addicted to my Brooks Adrenaline...I won't even LOOK at another pair. Does that make me faithful and loyal? Or a little nuts? :)

Chad said...

Sara, that's great, but what happens when Brooks decides to discontinue the Adrenaline?

Anonymous said...

I must have about 12 pairs of shoes I run in. I'm rotating about 5 of them now and here's the mileage on them:

Laika (1st pair) 996.6 miles
Laika (2nd pair) 821.4 miles
Rotterdam 473.6 miles
Brooks Burn 758.8 miles
Climacool 832.4 miles
Magics 164.2 miles
Tapers (2nd pair) 352.4 miles
Mizuno 86.9 miles
Avia 660.7 miles
Tapers (1st pair) 491.9 miles
Gel Lytes 806.8 miles
Vitesse 462.0 miles

...and I have 1 pair of flats with about 40 miles and another pair with 0 miles. Six of the 1st 12 pairs are flats and one is lightweight trainers. I generally run in flats an average of three times a week for faster runs and one long run. I retire shoes around 1,000 miles, so I don't buy many. Four of the above pair (Mizuno, a new pair of Adidas flats, the Burns and the Avia) I got for free from Woody. I buy most of my shoes from the Adidas outlet store for $25 to $45 bucks.

Chad said...

Double, I've heard of people putting 1000 miles on a pair of shoes, but I've never done it. I guess I don't want to take a chance. 600-650 is probably the most I've gotten on a pair.

With this higher mileage I think I need Woody to send me some samples too. Size 11 if you're reading, Woody. :-)