Monday, December 01, 2008

SEAMLESS ARRAY

I had 47 miles last week on 5 runs – another 8 last night gave me 195 for the month of December. That’s not a ton, but I think it’s about right for my experiment of not being in awesome shape in January. I’m at that nice point of being healthy and in decent shape – rather than on the verge of injury and in a continuous state of fatigue. I realized this on Saturday’s “group” run when Kim and I ran 11 miles in 81 minutes. 7:20 pace isn’t incredibly fast, but I felt controlled while doing it. On to December…

In the past I’ve talked about some of the product review emails that have made their way into my in box. Apparently sending free product to bloggers and asking them to write a review on their blog is the new word-of-mouth-marketing. So far I’ve reviewed a book, sports drink and headphones. The latest email to arrive is for a laundry detergent, I was up front and told them I’m a guy and I didn’t think I’d be able to tell the difference between their product and Tide (or whatever else we have at home). They're going to send me some anyway.

I have no problem with this method of marketing, in fact, it’s kind of cool – even if it turns out to be something that I don’t like. Well, the other day I got an email from a company with a new GPS product. No, they weren’t going to send me a free sample and have me review it. Instead, they sent me a link to their site and said;

I would be grateful if you could tell me your views: the great plus vs. competitors is its ultra-fast connection to satellites and great precision even in critical conditions (i.e. under trees, in town).


Let me get this straight; I’m supposed to go to their website and make a comparison to their competitor's products by reading their marketing materials and let them know what I think? I think they better come up with a more effective marketing campaign.

Finally, Jason Lehmkuhle took the time to write up a nice NYC Marathon recap. In his latest journal entry, he reflects on some of the questions that have been floating around in his head since the race.

Quote of the Day;

"I wasn’t out-of-shape in any sense of the phrase, but my log didn’t list a seamless array of 140- and 150-mile weeks like it had in the past. I hadn’t wandered through life in a haze of fatigue for weeks at a time. It just wasn’t optimal marathon training… Was it?” - Jason Lehmkuhle

No comments: