Tuesday, December 30, 2008

TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING

Every once in awhile I come across an article or section of a book that seems like it’s written directly at me. The latest instance of this was in an article written by one of my favorite runners/writers, Team USA Minnesota’s Chris Lundstrom. In the article he says;

It’s that time of year…where health and fitness can fall a little further down on the priority list. Placing less emphasis on being in tip-top shape can be a healthy respite that allows your body some much needed time to regenerate.
As I read that I’m thinking, “Awesome, now I don’t feel so bad.” Then Chris closed out the paragraph with this sentence;

But there can be too much of a good thing.
Dang you, Chris. Way to spoil the fun. Now I’m back to feeling guilty for my recent ways, which include falling off my recent health-kick bandwagon, eating every cookie in site, exercising sporadically, and all but giving up completely on the strength training that I started in November.

So it looks like I’ll be joining millions of Americans this year as I make New Year resolutions designed around exercise and getting back into shape. I think just getting back to work and into a routine of getting up early to exercise will help a ton.

During my time off from work, I’ve really gotten addicted to the Food Network – especially shows like Iron Chef America, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, etc. And it doesn’t hurt that I think Giada De Laurentiis is the most stunning woman I’ve ever seen. And she’s Italian – just think of all the great carbo-loading dishes she could make.

Today’s quote of the day comes from my latest interview;

“Put the training in. There are no shortcuts or secrets. Shoes, gear, and gadgets all have their place, but in the end it all comes down to training.” - Joe Ziegenfuss

No comments: