Wednesday, July 30, 2008

STUMBLING THROUGH

I’ve had 20 milers that went by quicker than yesterday’s 5 miler. 78 degrees and a dew point of 72 (at 6 AM) didn’t help matters. I thought about running another 5 miles last night, but decided to save it for this morning’s workout.

Whatever I saved, there wasn’t enough of it as I really struggled with this workout;

2 mile warm-up
4 ½ miles at M
¾ mile at T
4 miles at M
¾ mile at T
1 mile cool-down

3 miles into the first marathon paced portion of the run, I came within two steps of shutting things down. I was only running about 7:00 pace and was pretty frustrated because I thought I should be about 15 seconds faster per mile. I just couldn’t get going.

I can’t even blame the weather since the humidity broke overnight and it was 65 degrees with a dew point of 58. I did use the nice conditions to help keep me going – albeit at my continued slower pace. I figured this might be the best weather I see for the next 6 weeks, so I should at least stumble through the workout the best I could.

My right quad is still tender and swollen. Although I don’t really think about it when I’m running – except when going downhill – it seems to be affecting me. If nothing else, it’s done a number on my confidence. I just seemed to be gaining fitness and confidence with each passing week and now this ‘injury’ – although not running related – has put a damper on that.

I guess there always has to be some obstacles along the way.

In any case, I managed 13 miles in 1:38 and I consider just getting through the workout a victory – even if it was slower than I would have liked.

Quote of the day;

“I guess the bottom line is; the root of Lydiardism is this sense of being fit; not being restricted by things like, “Oops, my heart rate is 6 beats per minute too high! I’d better slow down…” or “Oh-o, here’s a hill; I’d better walk…” To me, it sort of saps “joy” of adventure running out of it…” - Nobby Hashizume

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What time of day you run is everything, isn't it? You never know what's going to happen. I ran 4 miles on my lunch hour, 90 degrees with 65 dew point. I ran another 6 after work, temp dropped into the 80's and dew point had dropped into the 50's; with a nice breeze, it was actually comforable for running.

Normally, morning is the best time, weather wise, but yesterday it didnt' work out that way.

Chad said...

Anon, yeah the dew point really dropped that afternoon.