Thursday, July 03, 2008

BOOK REVIEW

I’m sure it’s a slow day due to the holiday weekend, so I thought I’d just post something I already had written up. About 2 months ago I mentioned The Runner’s Cookbook. After receiving a copy, I wrote a brief review for MDRA.

Cookbook Review by Chad Austin

Every once in awhile I come across a simple idea that makes me think, “Why didn’t I think of that.” The most recent case being a book entitled The Runner's Cookbook: Winning Recipes from Some of the World's Best Athletes. It was compiled and edited by Alison Wade, who simply emailed professional runners and asked them to send her their favorite recipe, along with a note on why they chose that recipe. Just reading through these notes and looking at the running photos was enjoyable, because it’s not something found in your typical cookbook.

The end result contains 100 recipes from over 90 different athletes, including everything from breads and soups & salads to main dishes and side dishes. Being runners, you can bet there are plenty of pasta recipes like, Pasta Arrabiata (Sebastian Coe), Artichoke Lasagna (Amy Hastings), Pumpkin Lasagna (Deena Kastor), and Mushroom Risotta (Chris Lundstrom), just to name a few. Don’t worry, just because they’re professional athletes doesn’t mean they left out the dessert section. There are over 20 recipes for cookies, pies, and other goodies.

Minnesota runners are well represented thoughout the book. You’ll find Dick Beardsley’s French Toast, Bob Kempainen’s Corn Chowder, Kara (Wheeler) Goucher’s Veggie and Chicken Stir Fry. You’ll also find a variety of recipes from Team USA Minnesota runners, Kristen Nicolini Lehmkuhle, Carrie Tollefson, Matt Gabrielson, and Katie McGregor.

So far I've only made one recipe from the book, Matt Gabrielson's Grandma D's Goulash. Do not be alarmed that my youngest daughter said, "Ew, what's that smell?" and my oldest daughter said, "If I take one more bite, can I have something else?" These are standard responses in our household for any meal that takes longer than 30 seconds to prepare. Trust me, the goulash was delicious.

Best of all, this is a fundraising cookbook and all the contributions go to the Ryan Shay Memorial Fund and the Jenny Crain "Make It Happen" Fund. The price is $14.95, plus shipping and handling. Go HERE to learn more about these runners, preview the table of contents, and to place an order.

Quote of the day;

“I have this marathon a little bit in my heart.” – Uta Pippig, referring to the Boston Marathon

No comments: