Friday, January 04, 2008

OVERLY OPTIMISTIC

Maybe it’s just me but October, November, and December seemed like they flew by. If the next three months go by as quickly, tapering for Boston will be here before I know it.

The hardest part with the holidays being over is getting back into the routine of waking up at 5 or earlier. The last two nights I’ve been exhausted at 8:30 and in bed 15 minutes later. This morning I ran another 10 miles. The paved paths in Hyland Park were clear, so I was able to include some strides during the run.

One thing I forgot to mention about the goals from yesterday is that mentally I feel like they’re achieveable. Sometimes I’ll have a goal and then go to the McMillan calculator to see how this goal compares to other distances. Usually, that leads to a reaction like, “Oh crap, that’s the equivalent of a 36-minute 10K. I haven’t run that fast in a long time.” However, yesterday when I punched in 2:50 and saw times like 17:26, 28:44, and 36:13 for 5, 8 and 10K, I thought, “Those are doable.” I guess that's half the battle.

Maybe I’m overly optimistic or maybe having not raced in like four months has made my mind forget how hard it is for me to run that fast. I guess if it keeps me going during the winter months, I’m all for it.

As I was looking for something interesting to write about, I came across this interesting article. It has a lot of great quotes, including today’s quote of the day.

Quote of the day;

“People criticize me for the way that I live, but it’s my life and I alone bear the consequences.” – Brian Pope

No comments: