Monday, January 23, 2006

MORE OF THE SAME

I don’t want to be content with running 95 miles for just 1 week. The “trick” is to keep my mileage high for the remainder (other than cutback weeks) of my base phase. This week I’m going to try to recreate last week’s schedule and somehow “find” 5 more miles along the way in order to get to 100.

With that said, yesterday and today were exact duplicates (at least distance-wise) of last Sunday and Monday. Yesterday I again ran 14 miles on the treadmill while Katie napped. It’s really not that bad once you get going. My training group met in the morning and I had thoughts of joining them. However, the makeup of the group is such that I’m either pushing the pace to keep up or hanging back to run with a slower group. I don’t mind pushing the pace, just not the day after a 19 miler.

4:30 came quickly this morning and I didn’t want to get up. I had thoughts of going back to bed till 5, which would mean I’d have to double-up tonight. But thoughts of “maximizing my mileage in singles” entered my head. Plus, I didn’t want to have to worry about hopping on the mill tonight. I just wanted to get it over with.

Checking the weather before heading out the door revealed a temperature of 3. That’s about 20 degrees colder than anything we’ve had since before Christmas. Where did that come from? That’s one of the bad things about being a morning running in the winter – you don’t get to experience the “warm” temperatures.

This morning’s run covered a wide-range of feelings. At first it sucked. I was tired and stiff and didn’t want to be running. 2 miles later I warmed up and settled into a zone. Before I knew it, it was time to turn around. I few miles later I surprised myself by saying “I only have 3 more miles to go.” In the end, it wasn’t that bad and I finished with 12 miles for the day.

I’ve been checking my weight once a month on a scale at work. I always check at the beginning of the week, right after a run. On Halloween I weighed 152. Just after Thanksgiving I was 150 and then 149 just after Christmas. This morning I lost another pound and am down to 148. I probably would have been 147 but Kinsey made sugar cookies (yum, yum) with Grandma this weekend.

5 comments:

Mike said...

14 miles on the treamill is commendable. I'm sure those 5 extra miles are there, perhaps just keep going a little more on the days you're feeling good (so easy to say, eh?). I'm thinking about your race schedule and I'll email back. I wish that 1/2 race was 4 weeks out instead of 5.

Anonymous said...

Gratutious advice ... My basic approach for finding those five miles
(1) 1 mile each of five days
(2) adding a five mile double to one of the days

As we've discussed, miles are miles ... don't sweat the details if you're feeling good doing them.

Chad said...

Thanks guys. I have an idea for following #1. It seems easier than adding another whole run. I'll save #2 for getting to 105. :-)

E-Speed said...

uggh i went from 120 to 126 this week :(

you amaze me with your mileage and the treadmill runs. I am impressed! Keep on keeping on!

Chad said...

Elizabeth, that's why I only weigh myself once a month. For the most part, the only change you're going to see within 1 week is bad.

Keep in mind you were on vacation too. You gotta have some "down time" whether it be cutting back your training, splurging on your diet, etc.