Sunday, January 01, 2006

MAKES ME WONDER

Okay, so it seems I’m not the only one that doesn’t blog much over the holidays. Makes me wonder if any of us would blog if we had to do it on our own time. Probably, just not quite as often.

I started off 2006 with a strong run. I warmed-up for 1.5 miles with Bailey, then I ran the 8 mile loop that I have measured. I passed halfway in 30:05 and surprised I was moving that quickly. One of the reasons I was surprised was because the footing was fair to poor. I spent most of the run dodging from side-to-side, trying to find pavement.

I think it was Thomas who commented a week or two ago about being careful and not breaking a leg. It’s not breaking a leg I’m worried about, it’s pushing the pace and having my feet slip. That tends to lead to sore muscles and injuries. Part of the “problem” is that the plow they use on the paths is too wide. It’s like 6 feet wide and they must be worried about tearing up the grass because they don’t get down to the surface. If they plowed the roads like they plowed the paths people would be furious. I don’t need a 6-foot wide path. I’d rather have a narrower path that’s clear.

The second half of this 8-mile loop is much hillier than the first half. I continued to search for dry pavement and managed 30:30 for the last 4 miles. I threw in a half mile cool-down for a 10 mile run.

No comments: