Tuesday, May 31, 2005

MILE REPEATS

I forgot to mention yesterday that when I was pushing Kinsey before the start of the race we passed a porta-potty with about 20 people in line. Kinsey said something like "there sure are a lot of runners that need to go to the bathroom." I guess I'm used to it, but if you're seeing it for the first time, it probably does standout.

Throughout the day I kept noticing this pain on the inside of my left foot - near the ankle, running down towards the arch. When I got home from work I could see it was swollen. I iced it a little before heading to practice for our first track workout together. I told my coach that we had a nice turnout (probably 15 people), he said people always come for the track workouts.

We were split into 3 groups. Two marathoners and two Ironman triathletes were doing 4-6 x 1600, the other triathletes were split into 2 groups, based on speed, and were doing 4-6 x 800. Since Jenna raced yesterday she wasn't there. My schedule called for 6 repeats in 6:00 with 400 jog. I thought 6:00 might be a little fast, so I focused more on feel than trying to hit that pace. I ended up running 6:02, 6:08, 6:08, 6:02 (I got pushed along by the fast 800 group), 6:05, 6:06. I'm happy with those results. I felt very controlled and know I could have run faster.

For some reason our coach based our recovery on the first person to finish the rep. So while I finished in say 6:05 and had a 2:30 jog, Mary finished in 7:15 and only got a 1:20 jog. That didn't seem to make sense to me. Still, Mary handled it well and had a great workout. I think her 3:30 goal is well within reach.

I should mention that it was a really nice night, 75 degrees, low humidity and only a slight breeze on the back stretch. Maybe I can still get acclimated to warmer temps before Grandma's - just in case.

I felt my foot a little during the warm-up, but it didn't bother me at all during the repeats. I iced it some more once I got home. With 2.5 weeks to go, I'll be monitoring it closely and erroring on the side of caution.

No comments: