Tuesday, September 18, 2007

HEAD-CASE

As an athlete, it’s really great to be in-synch with my body. If something is not right, I know it immediately. A quick trip to the doctor’s office, a few blood tests and my suspicions were confirmed...I am indeed a head-case.

I got my blood work back and the only thing that was flagged was my HDL cholesterol level. It’s supposed to be above 40 mg/dL and it’s currently 39. Everything else was smack-dab in the middle of where it’s supposed to be. My “dreaded” Ferritin is at 161 ng/mL, iron binding capacity (that sounds important) 308 ug/dL, iron saturation 33%, and so on. So I basically don’t know what to tell you – or myself. I still have a physical scheduled for next week, where the doctor can tell me how normal I am in person.

I’m sure there are people out there thinking, “Great, now you can run TCM.” However, I’m so far passed that point mentally, I don’t see that happening. And physically, my last 3 weeks have been 34, 17 and 18 miles. Therefore, I’ll be a spectator at this year’s race in what is now guaranteed to have perfect weather.

In interview news; now that Brad Lowery has run Ryan Kleimenhagen out of town, he’s busy fielding interviews. And thanks to Kirk for forwarding me this interview with one of Team USA Minnesota’s newest members. Finally, here’s my latest interview of frequent commenter, Double.

Quote of the day;

“I’m just a running bum. Just out trying to rub a few sticks together in hopes of getting a little fire going. As long as I still desire to beat people I can’t see myself getting away from boot camp mentality yet.” - Dave Dehart

1 comment:

Evan Roberts said...

Well that's good, you've taken your end o' season break and you can start building up in the best month of the year for it. That's always the trouble with an October marathon here in Minnesota, you miss out on long runs in fall.

Nothing wrong with just having an old fashioned case of being done for the season.

And now you have some reference blood test values!