Thursday, April 05, 2007

WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT

I didn’t have to drop anyone off at the airport like last week, so I got to “sleep in” till 4:15 today. It was “much” nicer than yesterday; 19 degrees, but the windchill was 8. I guess that’s better than 2. Actually with all the snow having melted, it didn’t seem that cold. I just bundled up and hit the trails for a nice 15 miler. After follow Pfitz for the first time, I said I knew I was fit when I could bust out a 15 miler in the middle of the week without even thinking about it. I’m getting there.

I’ve been giving a lot more thought to my diet lately. In the past I thought it’d be nice to eat better to help my running. But then I’d think, “I am a 37 year old nobody, how much faster will I really run by cutting chocolate from my diet?” And, of course, my diet never changed. Now I’m thinking, “I’m 37 years old, I should eat better for me, not for running.”

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not stopping at McDonald’s everyday or eating a sleeve of Doublestuff Oreos in one sitting. But I think there are some things I can improve on, like taking 1-2 chocolates instead of 3-4, drinking more water, adding in some green tea, instead of coffee. I think one of the keys is to go about changing gradually. Also, I give myself a little pat on the back when I pass up those Girl Scout cookies before dinner.

Speaking of diet, I know caffeine and alcohol are diuretics. But I’m wonder if you drank a cup of coffee in the morning, a coke at lunch and a beer in the evening, how much more water would you have to drink to replenish the water you lost?

I found this article on some of the top Minnesota women from the ‘80s awhile ago, but never got around to posting it

Finally, here’s the real reason we went to Chicago in the fall. Luckily, there happened to be a marathon taking place on the same day.



Quote of the day;

“Right now I feel like I could run through a brick wall and just keep on going. It will be imperative that I rein in this energy, allowing it to accrue until I turn it loose little by little on race day. Easier said than done.”Patrick Russell

3 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Look at those American girls!

The little one looks like her daddy.

Runner Susan said...

The American Girls - aren't they cute! I forgot about those dolls. I did see the shops when I was shopping the day before the marathon.

I love Chicago.

Chad said...

Richard, that's interesting. I guess I didn't think it'd be 1 to 1.