Thursday, April 26, 2007

MID-WEEK MEDIUM-LONG

About the time I figure I don’t have anything to write about, something comes along. A special thanks to Bill for forwarding me this link (scroll towards the bottom) to a couple of interviews of Ryan Hall after the London Marathon. Not only are they interesting to watch because of Ryan, but they're interesting (at least to me) because they’re conducted by my college coach. There’s something about his questions and his understanding of running that I always find, oh what’s the word; mesmerizing, fascinating, intriguing, etc. His writing (Track & Field News) is the same way.

I was up at 4:15 today for a mid-week, medium-long run. I managed to get in 14 miles over many of the same trails from last Saturday’s race. Last year at this time I was injured but didn’t want to admit it. I was in the process of taking a few days off/cross-training, then trying to run, then taking more time off, etc. This year I’m feeling really good and trying not to take it for granted.

After the run I was listening to the radio and they were pissing and moaning about how hard it is to exercise, eat right and stay fit. It made me think that I’m really lucky to have a hobby that helps me keep my weight down. I’m not sure what would happen if I actually had to “exercise” and watch what I eat. I don’t know about anyone else, but I never think of running as exercise. I know it is exercise, but I just don’t view it that way. And while I talk about eating better, I’m pretty sure I could eat as crappy as I wanted to and I’d still weigh less than 145 pounds. I guess running is a good habit in that sense.

Quote of the day;

“I learned that the extra work (diet, strength work, etc.) can make the difference between being average and being great”. - Ed Whetham

1 comment:

Trisaratops said...

Very true. Now that I can't do my really long or fast runs, I really miss them--I'm still exercising and all, but I just love to run. Running ain't really "exercise" as much as it is a part of my day.