Wednesday, March 08, 2006

KICK, KICK, KICK

That sound you hear is me kicking myself for only running 5 easy miles today. I had every intension of running another easy 5-7 miles this evening, but it didn’t happen. Amy went out with some friends tonight. Not a big deal, but she happened to drive away with the only toy that Katie likes to sleep with – a stuffed Winnie the Pooh. As a result, Katie had a tough time falling asleep. She’s usually sound asleep by 7:30, but tonight she fussed till just after 8. I didn’t want to jump on the treadmill in case I had to run back to her room. By the time 8 o’clock came and went I had already talked myself out of running a second time. Getting up at 4:30 would be hard enough without another run.

As I was talking myself out of running, I was thinking about what Joe Rubio says; “Make your hard days hard and your easy days easy.” Since yesterday was hard and tomorrow will be hard, I shouldn’t beat myself up too much about missing this run. It does reinforce that I need to get up early (even on Wednesdays) and get as much of my running in before work as possible.

Believe it or not I dusted off my heart rate monitor for my easy run today. I was curious to see how fast I could run and still keep my HR under 145. I’ll have to check my old log books but I think I used to run around 8:30-8:40 pace while at 145 bpm. Today I got down to 8:06 pace, so that’s promising.

Quote of the day:
“All the top athletes wake up in the morning feeling tired and go to bed feeling very tired.” Brendan Foster

2 comments:

E-Speed said...

Interesting quote, but most of those top athletes get naps too ;)

Don't kick yourself over the extra 5.

Chad said...

Good point - and they're still tired.

I won't kick myself - too much.